You can pick up a free Kit for New Parents at these Ventura County sites. Or call Call Susan Thomas at (805) 981-5244 if your organization would like multiple copies.
Babies don't come with instruction manuals. That's why First 5 offers the free Kit for New Parents. Available at Neighborhoods for Learning, WIC Centers, and Public Libraries this extensive kit contains the following items:
- Celebrity Hosted DVD – Covering everything from oral health and child care to safety and discipline, the DVD prepares parents for their child’s early years. VHS tapes are also available upon request.
- Advice for New Parents Booklet – This comprehensive booklet is divided by “ages and stages” for easy reference, marking key milestones for parents to track how their baby is developing.
- Parents Guide – This easy to navigate reference guide is filled with tips and up-to-date information on local resources and services.
- What To Do When Your Child Gets Sick – This easy-to-read book answers questions many parents have regarding their child's health and common illnesses. A great guide for helping parents determine when to treat an illness at home and when to call or see a healthcare professional.
- “Puppy and Friends” (Baby’s First Book) – An interactive reading adventure for parents and babies to enjoy together. Filled with stimulating colors and textures to encourage brain development, babies can touch and feel puppy's fur, nose and toy.
- Obesity Prevention Guides – Highlighting activities that help prevent obesity in young children, these tri-fold pamphlets demonstrate interactive activities to do with children, both in and out of the home, to stimulate growth and healthy development.
- Healthy Families Leaflet – This flyer provides valuable information, including the latest requirements for parents who may want to take advantage of this program administered by the State of California.
- Poison Control Magnet – This refrigerator magnet helps parents keep important safety and emergency contact information readily available.
- Healthy Teeth Begin at Birth Brochure – Along with correlating video segments, this pamphlet gives an overview on oral health and walks parents through a baby’s first visit to the dentist.