Learn More About F5VC

Please read our frequently asked questions below and if you have additional questions, please contact us!

General Questions

What is First 5 Ventura County?

We are Ventura County’s early childhood experts! From Parent and Child Together classes to preschool to developmental screenings, we invest in early childhood so that all children can enter school prepared and eager to learn.

What are the Neighborhoods for Learning?

The Neighborhoods for Learning (NfLs) are resource centers where families with young children can participate in Parent and Child Together classes, get developmental screenings, make connections with other parents, and get the support they need to raise their children in a nurturing environment. Visit the website for more information.

What is Talk! Read! Sing!

Talk! Read! Sing! Is a campaign to remind families to talk, read, and sing with their child – from day one. This will fill your child’s brain with words, sounds, and emotions that help make brain cells build connections and grow stronger. This will have a lifelong effect on a child’s ability to learn language and communicate with others.

What is Help Me Grow?

Help Me Grow Ventura County works to ensure a child’s optimal development by offering screenings for children to identify developmental delays, connecting parents with services, and educating local medical providers and child care providers. Learn more.

What are ACEs?

Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) are stressful events in a child’s life that can include things like abuse, neglect, and other major stressors such as divorce, caregiver mental illness, and household violence. The science tells us that the more ACEs a child experiences or the longer they experience them, these ACEs can lead to toxic stress which can have a negative long-term impact on children’s brains and bodies. But the good news is we can reduce the effects of ACEs and toxic stress by providing children with loving, consistent support. We work with families and community partners to prevent and reduce the effects of these experiences.

How can I get involved?

F5VC does not currently have volunteer opportunities. Consider www.volunteerventuracounty.org for current opportunities.


How can I find a quality preschool?

Preschool is the start of your child’s school success. Children who attend a quality preschool are more likely to graduate from high school and attend college. 

First 5 invests in a quality system to support preschools through the Ventura County Office of Education: learn more.

Can I qualify for financial assistance for preschool?

CDR provides subsidized child care through State or Federally funded programs that help pay for child care costs. For more information visit CDRV.org or call (805) 485-7878 ext. 1484

For Partners

How do I apply for First 5 funding?

I want to open a new preschool. Can you help me? 

The Community Investment Loan Fund (CILF) provides below-market financing for developing licensed quality child care and preschool facilities for Ventura County children. The CILF  is a partnership between First 5 Ventura County and the Economic Development Collaborative (EDC). Loans may be used for the planning, construction, expansion, and rehabilitation of new or existing licensed childcare and preschool centers.

For more information about the EDCs loan programs, please contact Marvin Boateng at (805) 384-1800 ext. 9158 or Marvin@EDCollaborative.com.

Will First 5 Ventura County sponsor my event?

F5VC sponsors events that benefit children under five and/or expectant families. For more information, click here.

How do I get brochures about First 5 to share with my clients?

Materials that we are most likely to have in stock are here.

If you are interested in picking up these materials, complete the form found here.

Translate »